WWE Studios panel at this weekend’s New York Comic-Con. The panel featured WWE Studios President Michael Luisi, See No Evil 2 directors Jen and Sylvia Soska, Leprechaun: Origins director Zach Lipovsky, and WWE Superstars Glenn “Kane” Jacobs and Dylan “Hornswoggle” Postl. Below are some highlights from the panel:
* Jacobs said he interested in adding depth to the Jacob Goodnight character and exploring his background for the See No Evil franchise. Kane stated, “Jacob is a unique character because he’s physically powerful but with a twisted mind. The main thing about horror is that it doesn’t have any boundaries, you can do anything.”
* The panel reportedly did not go into a lot of detail on the projects, but they confirmed that See No Evil 2 takes place in a morgue. The Soskas also stated that the film’s “kills are all very original. It’s stuff you’ve never seen in anything. We get to really develop these characters and make you care for them and then horribly murder them.”
* Lipovsky said on Leprechaun: Origins that it’s “a new take on the character and mythology. How do you take this thing that people find so harmless and make it terrifying and make you want to puke?” He added that he’s not a fan of the preexisting films, so he came in fresh to the franchise. Postl said he’s never seen the other films, and the panel agrees that was a good approach to the reboot. Postl also said, “I play this happy jovial character on TV and to do a complete 180 and be killing people is great.”
* Luisi said that both films will be rated R and will be released in 2014.
* Two brief clips were shown from the films, but there were no full appearances of either the Leprechaun or Jacob Goodnight.
* The Leprechaun: Origins scene featured a young woman in a seedy-looking cabin in the woods, afraid someone was lurking outside. She looks outside and there’s a jump-scare of a figure brushing past the window. She freaks out and her boyfriend comes in from the other room, trying to calm her down.
* The See No Evil 2 clip featured a dead Jacob being wheeled into a morgue as the medical examiners were having a mundane conversation and set him in position. Jacob then spits a wad of blood onto one of their faces.