Welcome to the debut of the Point of No Return, at TBLWrestling.com. After allowing my previous column, Mark My Words, to be neglected due to my lack of writing, I decided to start fresh and introduce a brand new column. Despite having a class on Monday nights beginning next week, never watching ECW, TNA or Smackdown, I plan on writing a column a lot more often now. Having said that, let’s get this show on the road, shall we?
After watching last night’s Raw, it is painfully obvious that the McMahons still have a score to settle with DX. From the DX skits, to Cena and Edge fighting at the dock, why did it seem like last night’s Raw was time warped from the year 1999? That’s simple. The WWE creative team is anything but… creative. So rundown with fresh ideas, ladies and gentlemen, the WWE “soap opera” team has nothing better than to take angles from the past.
Lita throwing Cena’s spinner WWE title belt into the water from the dock… damn, that reminds me of The Rock throwing Austin’s smoking skull title belt into the water from the dock, shortly after WrestleMania 15! Just for the record, the angle was a lot more effective in 1999 for two reasons. First, it was the first time it happened on television, and two, The Rock threw the title belt into the water, while AUSTIN WAS THE CHAMPION. The Rock threw Austin’s belt into the water, simply because Austin was the champ. While Cena introduced the spinning belt, it did belong to Edge. Ok, so I get the point… Edge throwing away Cena’s old belt is going to hurt his feelings. I guess that’s supposed to really put some heel heat on Edge. Just too bad Edge had to debut a lame belt of his own… whatever happened to the traditional WWE title belt?
At least the fight on the dock between the two was entertaining. I like the extremeness that Cena showed last night. I think showing that kind of toughness could help in putting him over. Cena was popular when he did his raps, because he was somewhat of a badass. When he stopped doing the raps, he turned into a “nice face” while coming off as a Rock-wannabe. Remember how The Rock just before he left for Hollywood started to become too nice. Fans don’t like the nice pussies (maybe excluding Hulk Hogan, but not even I would label him as a nice pussy).
Cena is certainly a company guy, and he puts everything he has into his matches. So he isn’t the best technical wrestler out there. People are not booing Cena entirely for that reason. While the limited moves don’t help, the fact remains, his character turned into a pussy. Add some extreme to Cena and turn him heel already. I would have rather seen a match between Cena and Hogan rather than Randy Orton and Hulk Hogan.
Speaking of Hogan, let me remind everyone that I can’t stand this guy’s presence anywhere! Hulk Hogan is the biggest phony on the planet, and the fact that so many people eat him up alive absolutely makes me sick. How many times will the fans allow Hogan to bullshit them? News flash! Hogan has never come back to wrestling for the fans! Hogan has never come back to wrestling because it’s in his blood. Hulk Hogan comes back to wrestling, if and only if he seeks some sort of benefit out of it, aka financially or for publicity (in this case, for his daughter Brooke).
So what did WWE get out of bringing Hogan to Summerslam? A Hogan appearance for Saturday Night’s Main Event which bombed in the ratings, Brooke Hogan gets free exposure, and a young talent gets pinned by the sixty-five plus year old Medicare patient with now two bad knees. Oh yes, bringing Hulk Hogan to Summerslam was such a great move! All the hulkamanics are so happy now!
Moving to my point, a sixty-five plus year old man, who is almost old enough to be Randy Orton’s grandfather should not beat him, whatsoever. While I think Orton plays a good heel, I do think this loss to Hogan hurts him. The entire “legend killer” gimmick should now cease to exist. WWE probably will use the excuse that Orton doesn’t deserve a win over Hogan due to his previous backstage problems which caused him to be suspended for almost two months. If that is the case, then the WWE should have had Hogan wrestle somebody else. There is no excuse for Hulk Hogan winning any match these days. The guy can hardly move, has two bad knees now, and is old! It fucking shows!
After hearing Vince say on Raw that it’s not over with DX, I fear that this Corporation vs. Austin wannabe feud may continue. I had a slight bit of hope at the end of last night’s show when Vince suggested that DX has finally broken him. I had a slight amount of hope that maybe, finally, Vince would admit defeat and remove himself from television. Then again, we’re talking about Vincent Kennedy “I want to be the father of my daughter’s child!” McMahon. Wishful thinking, I’m sure.
.:: Odds & Ends ::.
This is where I generally will save my random thoughts, rants, observations, rhetorical questions, and etc. This is one of my favorite parts of writing a column. Sometimes, I get outside the topic of wrestling.
– I enjoyed watching the Smackdown history highlights last night. It’s funny because I remember some of those storylines like they were yesterday. The ending of the package I think says it all. I don’t recall the exact quote, but it basically alluded to Smackdown enjoying the same “lure” that it had when it first made its debut. Even the producers who put that piece together have a sense of humor!
– Speaking of Smackdown, I watched part of it, for the first time since the Eddie Guerrero tribute show. After being so out-of-tuned with Smackdown for the better part of two and a half years, the “brand extension,” or as I call it, the roster split, is more and more retarded. Not that I am a big fan of the Undertaker or Booker T, but the few superstars that Smackdown does have, would make a nice presence on Raw these days. I am looking forward to seeing Edge defend the title against the true veterans, and asides from Triple H and Shawn Michaels, Raw doesn’t have any!
– The Melina turn was so obvious, that everybody in the crowd had to see it coming. If you couldn’t, then you haven’t been watching WWE for the past five or so years then.
– The kiss my ass club again? This is the third or fourth time this year we have seen it. I do admit, I always wanted to know what an “asscial” feels like. Did I even spell asscial correctly? My spell checker says no!
– I am pleased with this site’s recent re-launch. The design is badass (nice job Joe!) and you can’t go wrong with the black and green color theme (TBL’s traditional colors). No matter how many times Joe attempts to sneak away from the black and green, he always eventually comes back. I hope to return either at the end of this week or sometime next week with another column. Stay on the lookout.
All e-mail is welcome… firstname.lastname@example.org. And just a FYI… because I am posting my e-mail address to the public, I can now expect a handful of spam mail to come my way. I can’t tell how reassuring it is to know, that if I ever feel my product “down there” ever comes up short, I am one click away in my e-mail inbox to finding the solution that will fix the problem in no time! Awesome.
– E-mail feedback to email@example.com
– Read more of Point of No Return!