WWE’s The Great American Bash (SmackDown) PPV Results – 7/23/06
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Announcers: Michael Cole & John Bradshaw Layfield
Report By: Adam Martin of WrestleView.com
– “The Power Is Back” WWE promo hits. Following this, a video package airs highlighting the Punjabi Prison Match tonight and how it will be one of The Undertaker’s biggest challenges yet. The World Heavyweight Championship Match with Rey Mysterio defending against King Booker is also highlighted.
– A graphic then hits welcoming us to The Great American Bash. We go live to Indianapolis where a large display of pyro goes off in the arena. Michael Cole and JBL welcome fans to the PPV tonight.
– Paul London & Brian Kendrick defeated The Pitbulls (Kid Kash & Jamie Noble) to retain the WWE Tag Team Championships. The finish saw Kendrick hit Kash with a sunset flip off the top rope, but Kash wouldn’t go down for the pinfall. London then hit Kash with a dropkick/moonsault and allowed Kendrick to get the pinfall.
– Backstage, Daivari was shown yelling at The Great Khali and not understanding why Khali wanted to call out The Undertaker right now. Khali then grabbed Daivari and lifted him into the air yelling at him.
– SmackDown GM Teddy Long was shown coming to the ring. Long got on the mic and said he had some bad news for the fans tonight. He said after a regular physical examination, it was discovered that Bobby Lashley had elevated enzymes in his liver and because of that, he would not be competing tonight for the WWE United States Championship. Lashley then came out and got on the mic. He tells Long that nothing is wrong with him, that he wants his title back and he wants to fight tonight. Long tells him he can’t allow that until he is medically cleared to wrestle and when that time comes, he will get his shot to gain the United States Title back again. WWE U.S. Champion Finlay comes out along with William Regal. Finlay calls Lashley yellow and that he is afraid of competition. Finlay then wants to announce himself the winner of the match tonight via forfeit. Long says he promised the fans a U.S. Title Match tonight and that they would get it when Finlay faces Regal right now. Regal and Finlay were both upset.
– Finlay defeated William Regal to retain the WWE United States Championship. During the match, Finlay crotched Regal using the apron around the ring. When Finlay threw Regal back in the ring, one of his boots was off (The Little Bastard/Leprechaun had taken it off). The finish saw Regal go for the shillelagh, but the referee stopped this. The Little Bastard then threw Regal’s boot at Finlay and Finlay knocked out Regal with it to get the pinfall using the ropes for help. After the match, The Little Bastard went for the WWE U.S. Title, but Finlay shoved him back under the ring.
– A promo airs for the Dusty Rhodes DVD.
– Backstage, World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio was shown getting ready for his match when Chavo Guerrero came in. Chavo told Rey that he was family and that his last name might as well be Guerrero. He said his fans, Eddie’s fans and the Guerrero family were all proud of him. Chavo said Eddie’s dream was to regain the World Title, so Rey was living out Eddie’s dream in a way. He said he was here tonight to make sure dreams to come true.
– WWE Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms defeated Matt Hardy in a Non-Title Match. The finish saw Hardy get in some punches on Helms in the corner, but Helms then dropped Hardy face first on the corner. Helms then rolled up Hardy and held the tights to get the pinfall.
– Backstage, Daivari was trying to convince The Great Khali to not go after The Undertaker because the Punjabi Prison Match was up next. The Undertaker then appeared and yelled at Khali if he was looking for him. ECW Champion Big Show then appeared and he attacked Undertaker. Khali then kicked Undertaker in the head. They were then separated by WWE referees and officials. SmackDown GM Teddy Long then put Big Show in the Punjabi Prison Match and Big Show complained that he didn’t even know what it was.
– The Undertaker defeated ECW Champion Big Show in a Non-Title Match inside a Punjabi Prison. As noted earlier, the Punjabi Prison was two bamboo cages with one around the ring and another going around the ringside area. To win the match, you must escape both cages. Each door would be opened for 60 seconds and then locked. At one point, both got out of the first cage, but Big Show threw Undertaker back in the first cage as the 60 seconds expired. Undertaker eventually climbed out of the top of the first cage when Big Show crawled up with him. The finish saw The Great Khali and Daivari walk out and Khali started climbing up the outer wall of the second cage. Undertaker then leaped off the cage and hit Big Show with a cross-body. Big Show fell back and busted through the second cage. Undertaker was declared the winner. After the match, a bloody Big Show was shown crying out in pain as Undertaker taunted at him and Khali.
– Backstage, Sharmell told King Booker that he could become the King of the World tonight by winning the World Heavyweight Championship.
– Ashley defeated Jillian, Kristal & Michelle McCool in a Four Way Bra & Panties Match. Ashley was the last to strip Kristal down to her bra and panties, so she was declared the winner. After the match, Ashley and Jillian stripped down to their bra and panties and celebrated.
– Backstage, Mike “The Miz” Mizanin interviewed Mr. Kennedy. Kennedy said Mark Henry may not have been able to beat Batista, but he would tonight.
– Mr. Kennedy defeated Batista via DQ. The finish saw Batista throw Kennedy shoulder first into the corner three times and then choke him him on the ground with his boot. When the referee ordered Batista to stop, he ignored him and then finally shoved him away. The referee then called for the bell causing the DQ finish. After the match, Batista gave Kennedy three spinebusters and a Batista Bomb. Kennedy was busted open early in the match.
– King Booker defeated Rey Mysterio to become the NEW World Heavyweight Champion. With the referee knocked out, the finish saw Booker bring a steel chair into the ring and try to use it on Mysterio. Mysterio ended up dropkicking the chair into Booker’s face. Chavo Guerrero then ran out, grabbed the chair and knocked out Mysterio with it. The referee slowly got back into the ring, Booker covered Mysterio and the referee counted the pinfall.
After the match, Chavo Guerrero left and headed to the back. JBL said you could never trust a Guerrero. The PPV went off the air with King Booker celebrating with the World Heavyweight Title as Sharmell put his crown on his head.