ROH 10/2/05 Results
Before I get to the Philly results, I have to comment on Joe vs Kobashi from Saturday in NYC. Throw my hat into the ring for those who say that this was bar none the greatest match I have ever seen in my life, at least in person. The atmosphere was phenomenal. The chops were brutal. The drops on the head looked deadly. If there was a rating higher than five stars, then Kobashi vs Joe is it. Here are the Philly results:
1) Sal Rinauro & Tony Mamaluke defeated Dunn & Marcos to retain the ROH tag titles in the opener. Rinauro came to the ring riding a bike. This match was ok.
2) Jay Lethal defeated Davey Andrews, Nigel McGuiness and Claudio Castagnoli in a four way. Good stuff here, Claudio was really over with the crowd.
3) Jimmy Rave (w/Prince Nana) defeated Matt Sydal in a great match. After the match, Jade Chung came from the crowd and attacked Rave, and then ran off as Nana chased her.
4) Rickey Reyes (w/Julius Smokes) defeated Eric Dempsey in 29 seconds.
Afterwards, Bobby Dempsey said his brother was dead, and to call an undertaker. The lights went out and Paul Bearer came out onto the stage. Bearer started talking and I believe claimed to be the new commissioner of ROH, in sort of a heelish way. Jim Cornette then appeared and the place went crazy. Cornette got in the ring, talked about how one year ago to the day ROH re-united him with all three members of the Midnight Express in the very same building, and put ROH over. Cornette told Bearer that he (Bearer) wasn’t the commish, but that Cornette was. Cornette then proceeded to basically cut an awesome promo ripping on sports entertainment, and that Paul Bearer has been lying to the people for 14 years, and that Percy Pringle was still buried in his soul. Then both men proceeded to give each other mutual respect and Pringle left the ring. Cornette then called out the Rottewielers and told Julius Smokes that no one would be allowed at ringside for the main event, and that if they didn’t leave right away, they would be fined $1,000 each. They left. Cornette said that he was going to shut up now so we could see more wrestling, and left to a huge pop.
5) Roderick Strong defeated James Gibson in an excellent match that went 29 minutes. Streamers were thrown for Gibson and it looked as he was about to cry. They went back and forth and the crowd kept up with them all the way. Gibson eventually tapped to the Strong Hold (boston crab). Gibson then put over ROH, saying they gave him his passion back for wrestling and called ROH the best promotion in the world.
6) BJ Whitmer and Jimmy Jacobs defeated Deranged and Izzy in a terrible match. Lacey fired Izzy and Deranged before the match, and apparently said that Whitmer and Jacobs were with her now. It was so confusing.
7) Colt Cabana defeated Jack Evans in a good match.
8) Christopher Daniels defeated Jimmy Yang in a great match. Daniels was over huge.
9) Kenta Kobashi and Homicide defeated Samoa Joe and Low Ki in the match of the night. This was about ****1/4 or so. Kobashi got a gigantic reaction coming out, and the crowd was rabid for everyone involved the entire match. The crowd was chanting “burning hammer” towards the end of the match, as well as “This Is Awesome”. Joe and Kobashi chopped the shit ouf of each other, picking up from the previous night. Joe’s chest looked like hamburger. Finish saw Kobashi nail Low Ki with a lariat for the pin. Joe put over ROH and Kobashi on the mic after the match as the crowd was still going nuts.